Friday, April 27, 2012

*busted*

Today J. discovered my secret.

You see, when I was picking out his wedding band (over a year ago) I really wanted to get it engraved with the word that represents something he taught me about true love. It is unconditional. 

But the band he really wanted (and I really wanted to get for him) I could only afford in a metal that is impossible to engrave on traditionally. After a frustrating failed attempted to have it engraved before the wedding, I gave up. I figured I could always have it done later. 

As our first anniversary is coming up (see my previous blog about that), I decided this would be a great opportunity to have it done. But how would I get the one thing my hubby almost never takes off without him knowing?

I sneaked (in writing this I learned that "snuck" is not a word) it into my pocket while he was showering, the only time he doesn't wear it.

I went running errands around town with him for hours with it right there in my pocket. I was so afraid he would figure it out. When we got home he looked and looked for it but didn't tell me what he was looking for. 

Later that day, while he was at work, I took it to the jeweler. She said she could engrave it, so I left it there. While I was in her shop, I met a man picking out his second wedding band. He got a little emotional when he was telling me how blessed he was to have found another woman who just as wonderful as his late wife. I was touched, and thought to myself that if I go first, I hope Scott is as fortunate as this sweet old man. I left the store with a great feeling about the sneaky decision I had made.

Anyway, I learned today that my husband had been looking frantically for the ring almost every time I wasn't home. I had no idea he was that worried about it. Usually he tells me when he's lost something, even for a few minutes, but this he determined to find on his own and admitted to "turning the house upside down" in hopes of recovering it.

Not until a week later, when I asked him about it, did he tell me he couldn't find it. 

I got the ring back the day after he told me it was missing, but couldn't figure out how to have him find it without seeming suspicious. 

I was so excited about it that this afternoon I just gave up on cleverness and made up a weak story about how I found it in the cup holder of my car. 

He bought it at first. I thought I had pulled it off, even with my weak story. He did seem a little suspicious, but he was trying to reason through it on his own. "Maybe I took it off while I was riding with you and wasn't thinking about it," he said.

I tried to be convincing in agreeing with him. I said, "that could have easily happened." And other things like that. 

He really seemed to be convinced by the time we got home, but apparently he was not.

He called my cell phone shortly after he got to work and accuse me of  being a sneak. Right then, I knew the jig was up, but I wasn't about to incriminate myself. 
"What are you talking about?"

He had found the inscription on the inside. I thought it was subtle enough that he wouldn't notice it until I pointed it out. But I was busted.

He was surprised and pleased, all the reactions I had hoped for, but I had failed in my sneakiness. The excitement of the surprise gets me every time. 

The moral of the story, ladies and gents, is that when you are most excited about your sneakiness you should occupy yourself in another way, wait for it to wear off, then proceed. 

Keep calm and sneak on.

No comments:

Post a Comment