Friday, November 16, 2012

A Very Bradbury Thanksgiving

For the past several years, my mom's family has celebrated Thanksgiving at my parent's farm.

I know this sentence may bring a picture to your mind of a few people gathering quietly in the small farm cottage around a table with a traditional banquet of Turkey, dressing and cranberry sauce.

That's not exactly what it's like.

Let's amp up that "few people" to at least 30. You see, my mom has 6 siblings and they all have kids, and a lot of their kids have kids. Then you add my grandma Bradbury, my dad's parents, and my great uncle Gene. ...Oh also add in whoever my single cousins (those who are brave enough to bring someone new) might be dating, and maybe a friend or two.

Overwhelmed yet? It gets better.

Along with sound of a football game, my mom and her sisters and sisters-in-law love to talk, and this no meager chatter. They're solving the world's problems, redesigning their houses, talking over their kids, and that's all before breakfast.

If you don't hear one aunt talking to another, there's trouble afoot and you better watch out! Or just eat...because the food is good enough that even Aunt Sissy takes a break to just enjoy for minute.

...Just teasing, Aunt Sissy!

There's always an entire room and a half in the farm house designated for food. The kitchen/dining room obviously hosts the meal itself which includes:


  • 1 HUGE turkey
  • 1 GIANT roaster pan of dressing, Grandma's recipe.
  • 1,000 rolls--the truth is I have no idea how many rolls, because the container seems to spontaneously refill itself throughout the day
  • 1-2 vegetable and/or fruit trays
  • Several cans of cranberry sauce and sometimes Aunt Jill's Cranberry Salad, which is awesome!
  • 1 huge bowl of potato salad--the same recipe I posted earlier this month but at least doubled.
  • 1 jar of pickles--because as a 3 year old I cried because I didn't get a pickle, so grandma makes sure they're always on the table. I'm never going to live that down.
  • Various side dishes--this changes from year to year. Usually there are some kind of green beans, maybe jalapenos stuffed with cream cheese and bacon, corn casserole, mac-n-cheese for the kids, etc.


In the adjoining backroom/office you'll find:


  • 1 dozen pies--this may be a little exaggerated, but not by much.
  • Other desserts--this is where people like to experiment. We all have a passion for sweets. I theorize this stems from Grandpa Bradbury's life motto "Life is short: eat dessert first."

To illustrate my point, I'll insert one of my more recent Thanksgiving memories. My cousin Aaron brought some foreign-exchange-student friends from school. The three or four young men walked into the kitchen before everyone started eating, their astonishment was apparent, and they immediately started taking photos of the table full to the brim with food. I never really thought of it as all that novel until then. ...They hadn't even seen the desserts!

With a quantity of food capable of feeding an small army, you may justifiably question how all the people fit in my parents' 3-bedroom, 2-bath farm house...especially after they are full of Turkey and pie.

Amazingly, everyone manages to fit in 2 rooms most years. A pair of long tables set up end to end in the front room can accommodate most of us. Then a table in the back room is enough for those of us who prefer a smaller, quieter atmosphere. Usually any cousins with guests unaccustomed to large family affairs try to snag a spot back there. Also, the dessert is back there, so it's a pretty sweet place to be. ;)

Once everyone has eaten his fill--and then another plate full--plus dessert, some of the food gets put away. What won't spoil stays out for people to graze on. If there's a time after lunch and before everyone leaves or goes to sleep for the night that at least one person is not eating, I've never seen it.

I've confessed to my readers before that my inner child is obese, so you must understand that this day is simply a dream come true for me.

As if it could get any better, my family is one of those families who play games. Some of my favorite childhood memories involve playing Scatagories with my Aunts and cousins or Chinese Checkers with Grandma--she's a master at that game.

Even more than actually playing all these games, I love watching my family interact. They all love to play games, tease each other and laugh. There's a lot of that, laughter.

I didn't always appreciate my family's sense of humor the way I do now, and I think it takes a while to get used to for some.

But what I've come to understand, although I think I've always felt it, is that teasing, joking and playing pranks is how they express their love. It's not a mushy group. There are few "I love you's" floating around. That is, except for grandma who genuinely concludes each and every visit and phone conversation with "remember I love y'all!" even if she thinks you're doing the wrong thing. (We disagree about the necessity putting onions in potato salad, but we don't let it come between us. ;) )

It's not a typical kind of close-knit family. I see most of these people once or twice a year at most. But whatever happens in my life I know I have those 30+ people behind me all the way. I've seen them spring into action more than once to support the ones they love.

Just a couple of examples: I saw it when we lost my grandpa, and the months following when my grandma needed help setting up a new independent life. I saw it when my aunt had (and beat!!) cancer. She's one of the toughest ladies I know.

At so many other times, I have seen this immense love spring into action. Phone calls, prayers, trips across the state to help out, and whatever else can be offered is done wholeheartedly. When tragedy strikes someone in this family, they are never really alone.

That is all brought together, to me at least, on Thanksgiving. It's a time to restore the ones who are struggling with a compassionate ear or a corny joke (or dose of reality when it's needed). To air out, then set aside what's bothering us and be filled...literally and emotionally.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm thankful this Thanksgiving, for my very Bradbury family and I can't wait to see them next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment