Sunday, September 9, 2012

A Golden Delicious Birthday.

Tomorrow is J's birthday, so yesterday we went to the local Apple Butter Festival to celebrate.

Having never visited an orchard or attended any kind of harvest festival, we had no idea what to expect.

It was a beautiful day. The weather was cool and a little overcast. This was a welcome break from the scorching summer days leading up to it.

We headed out around 10 and drove for about 30 minutes to the orchard. I love driving with J. We get to talk about all kinds of things we don't often think of at other times. Things we see, childhood stories, music we like lately, our hopes and dreams for the future.

On this trip, he told me he was inexplicably excited about being 23. I'm not as excited about turning 23 in a few weeks, but his excitement challenges me to find something to look forward to. That's what I love most about J, he challenges me to have a better attitude.

When we arrived at the orchard we payed to get in and received an apple stamp on our right hands. I felt like a kid, looking at my stamp. I love when people keep their theme in mind when they plan details.

We walked past a few craft booths, observed a bounce house, and greeted a couple of people we knew.

As I watched kids bounce around in an inflatable castle, I was more than a little jealous of them.

Remembering we were here  to celebrate another year into J's 20s, I looked away and headed into the neatly aligned rows of apple trees with his hand in mine.

A lot of apples had fallen on the ground. I wondered if the cold front from the night before contributed to their demise. But the apples still clinging to the trees were beautiful, and I say that never having liked to eat raw apples.

Despite my lifelong avoidance of eating apples I found myself sharing one particularly delicious-looking one with J as we walked.

Perhaps it's the feeling of kindred with the character, Snow White (a clear result of the fact that I've never been able to tan) that caused me to hate apples so much. I suppose I was channeling her when I was tempted to eat this particular apple right off the tree.

This one has a wormhole on the other side.
I forgot to take a picture of the other one before we ate it. :P
It was so delicious that I didn't even mind the fact that it was an apple, or that I hadn't washed it with running water. (Don't judge, everyone was doing it.)

J eating another one!
(Oh yeah I had another one too.)
We had a great time eating our way through the trees, but the orchard is only so big and all the trees are the same. So we decided to head back to the festivities.

When we walked back to the main area a men's singing group was singing old-timey love songs a capella. It was so fun to watch them. Most of them were older, carrying canes and had grey or no hair. But they sounded strong and sang with great animation. One particular man would point at the crowd and sway. I could just picture him at 23 singing to some girl he liked. 

Then we ate. 


We ate dessert first, because when apple turnovers and ice cream are offered these Dykowski's don't hesitate. 

Then we had some barbecue, because this is Texas. I feel no need to explain that any further. 

All in all it was a great morning. If we are still living in this area next September, we will certainly go back.

...And I will get a giant butterfly painted on my face like the little girl J pointed out as we were leaving. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment