Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Poor People Food: Spaghetti Edition

With the upcoming move and one income, I've been looking for any opportunities to save money on my grocery bill.

Tonight I wanted to share with you one easy, cheap meal you can make when you're in a hurry, but can't afford to go out.

That's all you need!
I think I need to preface this by saying that J has hated spaghetti for a long time. Since we got married, I've found several creative ways to make it that he enjoys (adding ground beef, fresh squash, or cheese), but they all involve adding expense to the meal.

Recently I discovered that the flavor in the pre-made sauce is what really turns him away. By making my own sauce, I was able to cut the cost of an already affordable meal and please us both! This is starting to sound like a 1950's advertisement. Yikes!

First, I put the spaghetti on to boil with a tiny splash of olive oil and a pinch of salt.

For whatever reason I decided to whisk the sauce in a bowl.
This is unnecessary. 
Then I take a can of tomato sauce that costs less than a dollar and pour into a sauce pan over medium high heat. I add a generous dash of olive oil (probably around 1/8 cup), Italian seasoning, garlic salt and onion powder. I heat it until it starts to pop, stirring regularly. Then I turn it to medium low and stir it more often to keep it from exploding all over the stove, until the noodles are ready.

Tada! Dinner's ready! With one box of off-brand spaghetti and 4 cans of tomato sauce I can make four big meals for around $6. Bam, Martha Stewart! Take that! ;)

When I'm feeling extra adventurous, I mix the sauce and noodles in an oven safe dish and sprinkle white cheese on top. I heat it in the oven at about 200 degrees until the cheese is melted. Mmmmmm
Extra adventurous!

No comments:

Post a Comment